Getting into shape such as diets and exercise tend to be the main focus of a fit lifestyle.. We always want the quickest ways to lose fat, look tone, and have a peach booty. We do short term. Following interesting fab diets to hitting a PR in squats can be a distraction to other important pieces of healthy living..
Stretching, Mobility, Flexibility are factors of fitness that are frequently overlooked. This may be your 1st or 20th year at the gym.. But did you know? “Stretching and mobility are the most skipped parts of fitness” Mobility is the ability to move freely and easily, while stretching is a way to help achieve this.. Overtime stretching follows into flexibility… I always add mobility and stretching (before AND after workouts) It’s very IMPORTANT to add mobility and stretching into your workouts because they prevent serious injuries!
Here are some of my favorite moves!!!
- Place Arm facing a wall. Keep arm straight
- Palms touching the wall and force. You will start getting a pulling pressure.
- Slowly place shoulder on the wall.
- Hold this position for 10 sec.
- Switch Arms!
Full Lunge to Wall (Couch Mobilization)
- Position yourself with one leg forward and resting on the knee of the back leg. Use hands/forearms on the ground to steady body and give it a fuller stretch of the hips.
- Put your shin against the wall with foot turned slightly inward. Other foot should be flat on the floor.
- Try to pull torso upright in a “UP” position. (squeeze glutes to keep the lower back protected)
- Switch Legs
- Pull heels toward you while pushing knees toward the floor as far as you can.
- Hold stretch for 30 secs
Lateral Leg Swings
- Stand tall and hold onto wall. Shift weight to the left leg and swing your right legs to the right and then across your body to the left.
- Repeat movement with other leg
PVC Pipe Stretch (broom works too!)
- Hold PVC pipe straight. Without bending elbows pass the bar over your head and down to your back.
- Continue to pass the bar back and front
NOTE: If elbows bend, hands are too close together. Widen hands until you can pass the bar without bending elbows. WIDER THE HANDS, EASIER THE MOTION
Mobility, Stretch, and Flexibility are key components to an individual’s health.
In order to lift heavy or execute exercises properly we need to understand our body’s full motion. Really take the time.. Taking action into theses components will have great results in your performance at the gym or any physical activity you do.
There’s hundreds of more stretches and mobility work but theses are my all time favs.. ALL BEGINNER AND EXPERIENCE FRIENDLY! Lets get a good stretch on y’all!
Big thanks to my gym buddies/models: Char and Ray!!!
Till Next Time!
Adapt, Learn, Live.